RM1mil lost to Macau Scam in 2019 in Johor.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/

ISKANDAR PUTERI: More than a million ringgit was lost to Macau Scam in Johor last year, with the number of cases reportedly on the rise.

Iskandar Puteri OCPD Asst Comm Dzulkhairi Mukhtar said that until the end of 2019, there were a total of 41 Macau Scam cases reported in the state.

“Out of those cases we have arrested some 42 Chinese nationals.

“In 2018, there were 26 cases with the arrest of 69 Chinese nationals,” he said, adding that the total amount lost to scammers in 2019 was RM1,003,262, which was RM207,173 less than 2018.

ACP Dzulkhairi said the police made efforts to educate the public regarding these scams.

“We have made public service announcements on radio as well as social media.

“But it seems that Malaysians still fall prey to these scammers,” he said, adding that the scammers would send a pre-recorded message of a person claiming to be from a government agency requesting the victim to settle a fine or a tax.

ACP Dzulkhairi was addressing a media conference at the police headquarters here following a raid on a house in Horizon Hills on Friday, which was used by Macau Scam operators.

“During the raid, we arrested seven men, who are Chinese nationals.

“A total of eight laptops, eight mobile phones and four routers were seized,” he said.

All seven are believed to have entered the country illegally as they did not have valid travel documents.

The suspects have been remanded for 14 days.